The purpose of this section is to advise laboratory occupants to develop and utilize appropriate work procedures for electrical safety and to remediate electrical hazards when possible. Electrical hazards for laboratory employees and students usually include shock, burn, or fire hazards. Electrical shocks occur when a part of the body becomes part of the electrical circuit. One way this can occur is by contacting a metallic part of a piece of equipment that has become energized by contact with an electrical conductor. The severity of the electrical shock depends on the following:
- The amount of the current (measured in Amperes or Amps);
- The pathway through the body;
- The duration of the exposure; and
- Whether the skin is wet or dry.